KINPURNIE CASTLE (1) was built in 1954 by Greenock Dockyard at Greenock with a tonnage of 8121grt, a length of 512ft 7ins, a beam of 66ft 4in and a service speed of 16 knots.
She was launched for Clan Line as the Clan Stewart and entered service in February 1954.
In 1961 she was transferred to the South African Marine Corp. (Safmarine) and renamed South African Sculptor.
In the following year ,after the Round Africa service was discontinued, she was transferred to Union-Castle but managed by Clan Line and renamed Kinpurnie Castle.
She was sold to Astro Firme S. A. of Panama in 1967 and renamed Hellenic Med.
She served with them for a further eleven years until 15th March 1978 when she arrived for demolition at Gadani Beach.
KINPURNIE CASTLE (2) was built in 1966 by Greenock Dockyard at Greenock with a tonnage of 7952grt, a length of 529ft 4ins, a beam of 68ft 11in and a service speed of 17.5 knots.
She was launched as the Clan Ross and the last ship to be Built by the Greenock Dockyard.
When completed in March 1966 ownership was under the Houston Line, another subsidiary of the British & Commonwealth Group, but managed by Cayzer, Irvine & Co. Ownership was transferred to Union-Castle in 1976 when she was renamed Kinpurnie Castle.
Although the Southampton Castle completed the last Cape mail run in 1977 the Kinpurnie Castle carried mails for the very last time on a voyage from Southampton - Ascension Island - Saint Helena -Cape Town - Port Elizabeth - East London - Durban, returning the same way.
She became the Kinpurnie Universal under the same ownership in 1979 and in December 1982, was sold to National History Cia Naviera S. A. of Piraeus who renamed her Syros Reefer.
On 31st July 1984 she arrived at Chittagong where she was broken up.